Tuesday, February 24, 2015

subscription boxes. my first stitch fix box


I cannot remember where I first read about subscription boxes.  It could have been a magazine or a passing conversation, but I was intrigued.  I loved the idea of a little present each month, filled with items that I wouldn't otherwise buy for myself.  The world of subscriptions boxes is exploding of late, with boxes catering to all types of consumers.  Want a box of specialty products from Oklahoma?  There is a box for that.  Do you like to spoil your dog?  There is a box for that, too.  However, my very first subscription box was NatureBox, which is described on their website as a box that "delivers a world of carefully sourced and nutritionist-approved foods right to your door. Each snack contains wholesome ingredients - with no artificial sweeteners, flavors or colors. Snacking has never been so deliciously fun and naturally easy."  I really enjoyed a few months of these boxes, filled with lemon tea cookies, dried fruit and trail mixes, but I realized that these were snacks that I could pick up myself at the local Trader Joe's or Whole Foods.  Heck, I could even get them at Stop & Shop, so I cancelled my subscription.  That was that.  Until I saw my neighbor's facebook post one night about StitchFix.

Me: 'Stacey, what the heck is StitchFix?'
S:  'It is a clothing box!  You fill in a questionnaire about they types of clothes you like and where you'll be wearing them, and a personal stylist chooses a box of clothes for you.  I'm getting my first box in a few weeks!' (Or something like that.  I'm not good with past conversation details.  Also, Stacey is very chill, she doesn't talk with explanation marks much, that is part of her charm.)

Anyway, a few weeks later, Stacey comes down to the bus stop in the cutest sweater.  It was long with these cool folds and mystery pockets.  I just loved it.  When she said it was in her StitchFix box, well, it made me even more interested in this little world of subscription boxes.  However, I still didn't sign up for one.  I'm lazy.

Flash forward about six months and I saw another facebook post about an ipsy box.  Naturally, I clicked the link and wow, hello, a cute little box that has makeup, skincare samples and every month they come with a cute makeup bag?  This sounded like fun!  As I am ever the skeptic about unknown things, I decided to research the ipsy box and see if it would be worth my money.  With just a quick Google search, I found a super website called My Subscription Addiction which is an amazing resource to all things boxes.  Liz, the writer of this blog, even has a page describing everything you need to know about getting started with monthly subscription boxes.  I read through this intro and on her advice, signed up for Birchbox.  I received my first Birchbox this month and it was really fun!  I felt like a kid on Christmas morning!  A cute little box filled with a lipgloss, an eyeliner, a face wash, a deep hair conditioner and an eye makeup remover.  It was a bit of a rush getting this little box, I am not going to lie.  I wanted more.  So I also signed up for a KloverBox (much to my disappointment, I was too late for the February box, but can't wait to get my first one in March.)  On a roll, I figured why not finally fill out the StitchFix profile?  So I went for it.

When you get started with StitchFix, you fill in a profile about how you like to dress, what style of clothing you like, how much you want to spend and others, and then your stylist picks out five pieces of clothing for you based on this profile.  The more details you pass along (like sizing, etc.) the easier it will be for the stylist to find clothing that is right for you.  After filling out the profile, you agree to pay $20 for the styling fee, of which will go towards any clothing pieces you decide to keep.  If you like all five pieces, they will discount the total amount 25%.  They send a prepaid envelope with the box so you can send any items back, free of charge.  After filling out the forms and making my payment, the turn around for the box was about two weeks.  My first box arrived on Saturday.  I was so excited!

So my box that this super cute wrap dress:


A cosy blue top:


A so-so tank (I'm holding out hope for this one.)


Plus this excellent asymmetrical sweater in a light brown.  What I love most about this sweater is that it looks so great on, but I never would have bought something without straight lines OR a zipper.  This is a really fun piece that I'm excited to add to my wardrobe.



The last piece was a pair of basic black pants that fix perfectly and will work with cute flats once the snow is gone.  The box also comes with a handy insert, showing the pieces with possible outfit ideas (these were the pictures I posted above.)  Although the box isn't cheap ($350-ish total, roughly $260 after the box discount) it is a fun quarterly splurge for a few new items each season.  Ironically, I would have sent that patterned tank back, but it was cheaper for me to keep it than only send that one item back.  I'm sure this is deliberate because StitchFix claims they do not send people items that have been tried on.  What happens to all those cast offs, I wonder?  I have already scheduled a second box for May to arrive on my 41st birthday.  (Happy birthday to me!!!!)  I think this box is a good fit and I'm looking forward to the next five items.  I think with the feedback I provided when I 'checked my box out' and the other notes I've passed to my stylist, each box will be more and more a fit for me.  Exciting!

Are you thinking about signing up for any boxes?  Do you already get one?  What are your favorites?  I'd love to hear from you.

I'm hoping to keep up with this blog and pass along any other nibbles that come my way, be it food, cheese, books, wine, boxes... be sure to come back soon for more!  jj

2 comments:

  1. Six and a half long months in the wilderness. Finally another post. How I have missed you Nibble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha. always wanted to do this, giving it a try. can't hurt. i know you really want a birchbox marls...

      Delete